Em and I went out to dinner last night and I decided to treat myself to a drink. I chose something that presented itself as a more sophisticated twist on a margarita, made with fancy tequila and ruby red grapefruit juice. I was incredibly pleased with the drink and decided to make my own at home. Here's how you do it.
- 1 oz. tequila - Herradura or Patron are my personal favorites, but use whatever you want
- 4 oz. ruby red grapefruit juice - or mix it up with some blood orange juice, if you want
- 2/3s of a glassful of ice
- a splash (0.5 oz) of ginger ale - if you like sweeter drinks, use 7-Up/Sprite/Sierra Mist
- yellow glittery swizzle stick - or a swizzle stick of your choosing
Unlike the cloyingly sweet margaritas you find at restaurants and bars, this is light and refreshing while being adequately potent. I love the gentle tartness upfront and find that the tequila and grapefruit release their sweetness as the flavors linger in my mouth. There is a very gentle amount of fizz, too. As far as the cost is concerned, while the tequilas I chose are pricier than most I leave you with this:
One 750mL bottle of Herradura is priced at $45 here in Virginia. A bottle of grapefruit juice is $3.29. Small bottles of ginger ale are $3.29/6-pack. I imagine I could make about 14-15 cocktails with just one bottle of juice. At least 25 with the bottle of tequila. One drink at the restaurant cost $8.99. You do the math!All in all, a great summer cocktail. Enjoy!